Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday

I forget that other people's lives don't often revolve around things like

But mine does. Its been playing since we bought it last night.
Lately I've been assessing my nerd levels.
They are really high.
I'll give you some reasons for my saying so.
Last spring I had a professor that said "nerd" was just a semi-mean way of saying that you love certain things too much.
More than the average person?
Like Star Wars
And Stargate
(I've seen every episode. 11 seasons+5 seasons+ three movies+the begining of a new and weirder series)
Lord of the Rings
(I couldn't imagine watching the theatrical releases)
And many more. But these are only movies.
I'm also nerdy about books.
Like when I come home from the library with a fat stack of science fiction and fantasy books.
Also non-fiction science books.
All books. Classic Lit, YA Lit, non-fiction, poetry, textbooks.
Perhaps books have become inherently nerdy.
People don't seem to read much anymore.
But I keep reading. And re-reading.
I need to own a library.
I'm an art nerd, too.
And a music nerd.
I married a nerd. We overlap in a lot of places.
Here are some exclusively Mark things, though.
He gets excited about physics and rocks and designing and math.
Airplanes
Basketball
(are sports even nerdy? I just know they are when Mark talks about them)
United States Military
History
Cars
(remember that time when I found out he can identify the make and model of a car by the shape of its headlights in the dark?)
But we both know a lot of useless and random facts.
He tells me that the first death star in A New Hope is not the same as the death star appearing in Return of the Jedi.
I tell him that once you cut lactose out of your diet, after a while your body stops producing lactase, the enzyme necessary to breakdown lactose. So if you want to always drink milk and consume all things dairy,
drink on.
Did you know that the diamond from my ring was picked off the wall of an old mine in Africa
by Mark?

1 comment:

  1. Very awesome! I too married a nerd and he is proud of it! Benjamin is impressed that I can identify cars by their head light shapes in the dark-I espically rule in the slug bug game-just by their headlights of taillights!
    And he really picked out the diamond in your ring? That rocks!!

    ReplyDelete